Saturday 4 January 2014

Wet shorts

So yesterday was jolly fun, the wind, rain and darkness all made leaving the house a little bit more of an effort but I got to the pool eventually and this time resumed my place in the fast lane. I ploughed up and down whilst putting in a reasonable amount of effort but felt that I could sustain it for the time I had. Again, I was focusing more on making sure I was swimming properly and getting the time in rather than counting lengths but I'm feeling positive about it. Last year Dan called me up and put me on 3ish weeks notice to do the swim leg of a team triathlon. I had, prior to that, let my swim drop off somewhat so hit the pool and lake about 5 times a week in the run up and really boosted my swim. That concentrated improvement in swim seems to have left traces as I, for instance, use my legs for propelling me now rather than just for stabilising.

When I left the pool the weather had improved with my mood. Bright sunshine and glorious blue skies to tackle the traffic in Staines-upon-Thames.

At lunchtime I dropped my shorts in a puddle in the changing room\shower before putting them on. That was pleasant. I had resolved to do a loop of Datchet but once on the Long Walk (wet and blustery and so unlike the day before, it was almost lonely) I forgot and just carried on up to the Copper Horse again. There was so much rain that on the grass hill I did my Torval and Dean impression (I'm the size of both together). On the way back I could feel the wind giving me a little push but also coming in from the side. I wonder, can I capitalise on my breadth? Use my back as a sail? If I were to run straight at 90 degrees to the wind but have my back at 45 degrees to it how much thrust can I get? Something to be tested. It also gets me thinking how much jet propulsion I can capitalise upon from exhaling in the correct direction whilst swimming.

I had a quote from The Bike Company in Windsor (who I trust very much with my bike) for clearing out the headset on the Defy. Seems reasonable, just awaiting a second opinion from Iaim Neesom on if bits need to be replaced and what by before proceeding but looking forward to having a bike that doesn't make its own mind up on direction.

 I haven't fully explored the features of this blogging site yet, am looking forward to doing so. I nthe mean time keep reading folks, thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment