Thursday 2 January 2014

Ironman Wales Sept 14th 2014 for Macmillan

I sit here blogging on the second day of January in the Year of Our Lord, Two Thousand and Fourteen.

My sights are set on the 14th September 2014.

Three years ago a literary masterpiece arose by the name of Beasting Blog. It was my fundraising effort to commemorate Dave Scrutton and raise money for the Sam Beare hospice (never did get a thanks from them other than quick mention on Facebook but oh well, good cause) and I was stunned to raise well over £3500. Thanks to those of you who contributed.

Beasting Blog was hosted on a website that I set up then, due to fatherhood, neglected for a short time, to find I had missed an email telling me it was being taken down and that anything I had blogged would be lost. Not since the burning of the Library of Alexandria has so much knowledge of the ages, wit and heritage been lost but we bust bear our grief with English stoicism. Even if you aren't English. There is lots to update you on since then but that can come later. I'm fitter and (surprisingly for those who have seen me lately) thinner than I was when I trained for the London triathlon and have a couple of extra months.

Today I headed to the pool after plenty of out-of-routine-faffing jumped into the medium lane and started swimming. I was doing a steady crawl and intended to do so till I had to get out. I noticed that in the fast lane some people would whizz past only to stop as they were either doing some speed work or are idiots (probably a 50/50 split today) but in the medium lane I had to overtake occasionally. I suddenly realised that I had raised the wrath of two ladies who were going slower than a lecture on why your hangover is your own fault. With furious fetle from their sedate sauntering stroke they would strike out into the lane to cut me off at any attempt to pass. Fast lane next time then.

Beasting 2 was a rather windy run up to the Copper Horse in Windsor Great Park, it was beautifully sunny though it was in my eyes so I ran with a more than usually anguished expression on my stunning face. I didn't time it but it was fun.

Anyway, welcome to Beasting Blog 2: The Beast With Two Backs.

Your tasks:
Enjoy the ride
Follow me here and on twitter @Geoffbeast
Donate at Just Giving: http://www.justgiving.com/GeoffHurst
Bet on how I do (and give to charity) here: http://tinyurl.com/nr3pmlr
Train with me!
Spread the word

Annoyingly I read a date from a letter that was incorrect so the betting site says it is on the 7th Sept. It isnt. Ignore it.

P.S. I have signed up to an Ironman.

P.P.S. Oh crap I have signed up to an Ironman

P.P.P.S More on the whole Ironaman and Macmillan charity thing next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment