Wednesday 29 January 2014

Bagel Parade

My goodness, what an international readership I have. This month I have clocked pageviews from the following, in order of most views:


United Kingdom

United States

Germany

Czech Republic

Ethiopia

South Africa

Switzerland

South Korea

Today, to the disgust of N, my alarm went off at 0500. Rather than just a water parade to make sure I was hydrated for impending exercise I also ate a pre peanut buttered bagel that was sat on my bedside table. Bagel devoured I then went back to sleep till 0540. After that I cycled through the dark frosty morning to the swimming pool. I swam till 0800 then jumped back onto the bike to enjoy a beautiful ride into the office. On the way through Old Windsor I was overtaking the slow traffic. I'm not keen on going on the inside of traffic. As I reached the end of Old Windsor and headed up towards the long walk crossing cars kept seeing me coming and gave me room to overtake. This was rather fun and I really pushed myself. I then realised that the traffic was speeding up as the incline gently increased. It burnt the legs somewhat as I sped up to keep up with the cars in front and I had to ignomoniously drift back over to the left to try to maintain some form as those cars that I had zipped past returned the favour.

Not such a beautiful ride home. Sleety, wet and cold. Puddles swamped accross roads, car headlights dazzled off them, concealing all pot holes and not making for good grip. I owe a lot to my bike which took a lot in her stride and often was left to fend for herself as my glasses steamed up or hit a particularly viscious squall momentarily blinding me. I left lots of room and dominated the road, most cars were OK with that but I was pushed past by several people eager to get home 1 minute faster. By the time I got to the dual carriage way near Thorpe Park my legs were in a pumping rythm  but with no street lights, frequency of puddles and speed of traffic I decided to ride on the pavement. Ride to arrive. Well over an hour to get back from Windsor was a bit of a drag.

3 comments:

  1. - love the 5:40 start
    - just this weekend I was in a discussion with czech people as to why cycling in winter seams to be a taboo here (just the mention of such activity gets bizare and horrified looks). but they are more then happy to do such exersice as long as they have x-country skies instead of wheels... why be it... could it be road safety? or lazyness... as xcountry skiing here is more about going from mountain hut to mountain hut, drinking instead of actual exercice... will check both and report!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can tell I'm back to health again, I was awake and feeling awesome as soon as alarm went off this morning. Yesterday not so. Was a Catherine morning this morning so no swim but looking forward to getting the legs pumping at lunch. And going for a run.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tell all Czechs "Winter miles = summer smiles". That will sort them out.

    ReplyDelete