Sunday 19 January 2014

Blubber boy goes to svelte town

Tonight was the night on which I undertook a trial swim session with Phoenix Tri. The coach was late so I was told my warm up (3x 100m FC 50m back legs only) then quickly introduced before I took both the proverbial and literal plunge.* I opted for the slow lane but found I was in the faster echelon within that. I sensed I was being watched at first but then left to it. The drills were 25 or 50m of the most bizarre swim techniques but what I liked was how it was explained. What to do, what it's preventing/ improving and how it fits into the stroke. My problem was that not being used to quick fire instructions they became self drowning techniques for the first half of the drill before I figured out what I was supposed to do. "Roll every 6 kicks" for instance. Is that a kick cycle so left right as if I were pacing or each foot which seemed rather fast? I didn't ever figure that one out. After a series of those we were left instructions for a series of drills to undertake in 400m chunks. I probably could have pushed myself harder in the session as it was over before I knew it and whilst I didn't slack I was mindful of not wanting to run out of energy. I subjected the chaps in the changing room to some questioning of the wider aspects of the club and each seemed to use it differently. There seem to be some ways in which my current swim technique is causing a lot of unnecessary drag and others where efficiencies are to be gained.  Knackered now.

On a separate point I'm very proud of my daughter doing so well with potty training.

Also I'm starting to enjoy gardening. Don't tell my wife or there will be an expectation.

*wife finds it amusing the lack of attention to detail suggests I was only allowed to use my bak legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment