Friday 24 January 2014

Charming

I ran yesterday with T at lunch time. She accompanied me at just over 6mph to the bottom of the hill by the copper horse. I ran up and back again then we ran back together with a final independent best effort push at the end. It was good fun to be out with someone. I need to call CG and get him out with me. The next stage will be to get T to run to top of the road, then all the way to the horse. The view makes it very worth while.

The inscription on the statue reads:

GEORGIO TERTIO
PATRI OPTIMO
GEORGIUS REX.

Which could work as a boy's name. We really can't decide actually. Georgio Tertio Patri Optimo Georgius Rex Van Hurst.Or parts thereof.

Today's run took me up to the horse then around a bit of a loop before heading back into Windsor. My legs felt heavy and one or two muscles twinged which made me reflect on the four types of limiting factors one feels whilst running. The first is muscles not working correctly, tired legs. This has an a and b where the a is tiredness induced by that running and b is by over beasting in the proceeding days. The second is heart and lungs not keeping up with the run. The third is mental can't be bothered which is conquered by running anyway and being awesome. The fourth is injury which I am pleased to say doesn't currently afflict me. Today's run was 1b. Some runs feel like they are drama free which I always look forward to but seldom seem to come across.

During the run I also noticed that three chaps I offered nods of acknowledgement to returned them with a smile. What comradery thought I. I then did the same to a lady who though she caught my eye just performed an eyes front and continued on her merry way. I made a mental note of every runner's reaction and found that 8/11 men returned the greeting but NONE of the female runners did. If I were female would they have nodded or smiled or at least given me the eyebrows raised look of pain?  Does it look like I'm oggling? Or judging? Or are my gestures too subtle? My charm whilst running obviously needs some work. Or they were all just miserable. Still a bit affronted actually. Charming.

1 comment:

  1. Was patri optimo not the main recruitment slogan for the army for many years?

    ReplyDelete