Saturday 1 March 2014

Deceptive

As I rounded the corner, pounded the path and bounded down the hill, I knew that this was going to be a Good Run. The swoop included potholes and road crossings over which I flew like a subordinate meerkat and it felt as if I was only being held back by physics as my impulsion knew no limits. The basin of the small valley was barely noticed and my legs changed gears to propel me up to the top of the hill at Brooklands. A shudder in the knee engendered there. A shock of pain, a grinding sensation and the crotch in the trouser leg of time offered its irretractable (ot sure if that is a word) options. To push on or ignominiously stroll home, living to run another day?

2 Days Earlier.

Before work I had an Osteopath appointment (I put that link in as I'd really recommend her, I'm not google adsing you.) which I had scheduled previously as part of my ongoing maintenance in preparation for the Ironman. At Galway my back caused a lot of trouble and I will not let that happen in Wales. I asked Suzanne about my ankle as it was still causing me some problems, particularly in the mornings, so she spent some time straightening that leg out. Its amazing how, at the end of the appointment, I lay on the bed and with no pain or tight feeling my body relaxed into a symmetrical, untwisted and feet splayed out position. Some advice and kit for ankle injury prevention was forthcoming.

1 Day Earlier

Visited the Triathlon Show with Dan. Straight after work to avoid the rush and I'm glad I avoided paying too (Dan had free tickets) as there wasn't much to it. Reminded me that I'm in the market for some calf compressors but that was about it. Catherine enjoyed herself and was given a flashing bouncy ball by the ladies at the Leeds Castle Triathlon stand which caused chaos. Not rel event to this story but being Tri related I thought it was worth mentioning. Seeing a live swim training session reminded me to use a catch up drill for swimming as apparently it is the thing to do.

1 Hour Earlier

I left the house and, still not being sure of the capability of the left ankle, took it steady. It was a little stiff but no pain. Rock on. I did the seven hills loop. I would have done the seven hills half marathon but I wanted to be able to say goodnight to C and Homeland isn't going to watch itself. A few days ago I was talking to a colleague about running playlists and he suggested Bewitched, the female Irish band, as some cheesey pop to listen to. Having a new phone (switched back to Nokia from Apple) I decided to stick Bewitched on. Unfortunately I had thought Bewitched was The Corrs so was a bit surprised to see the terrible denim clad girls prancing around on you tube. Even C wasn't interested. I put The Corrs on my phone. It isn't very good running music but my brain didnt melt. I need to spend some time rebuilding the playlist. A couple of times mid run I had to switch songs as they weren't keeping pace with me. The run was good actually but looking back I perceived my pace to be much faster than it turns out was my average pace. There was some stop starting for roads and there are a few hills but it if asked I would have told you that I was averaging 7mph+. Damn deceptive pace. I felt I had more to give afterwards though other than the knee which went ping. It was the same as had niggled before the ankle went so probably related. I hung left through the trouser leg of time which involved pushing through and by the time I was at the bottom of brooklands hill having taken it easy up and down, I had forgotten it. A faster run into the village (again other than dodging traffic) and I felt super afterwards. Have popped some ibuprofen just in case.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/453386638

No comments:

Post a Comment