Saturday 15 March 2014

Hills

I'm now belatedly watching the England Italy 6 nations match now, drinking prosecco which I hope isn't unpatriotic. Patriotism is a virtue of the vicious though so maybe that's OK.

I could have watched the game whilst C napped but instead I took advantage to head out on bike on such a blustery but beautiful day. 35 miles of North Downs hills awaited my legs, a couple of loops. I felt good though and whilst I wish I had eaten more before going out (my Maison Blanc, not healthy breakfast quickly seemed a long time ago) there was much joy in and impulsion.

 6-10 Italy England, lots of England mistakes and fumbles.

The uphills will take care of themselves but as I have mentioned before its the downhill I need to practise. To that end I went first to Newlands corner, down the far side of that is an absolute joy with only one corner which I would consider a worry. A broken down vehicle on the opposite side causing car in front to slow, and one impatient driver my only consideration other than enjoying the down. Overall the cars were very courteous. Drivers of Surrey Hills (other than mr impatient) I salute you. Its a nice sweeping hill and in my comfort zone. I then slogged up another hill. I overtook three guys which was good. I don't usually count it as an overtake if they are on inferior bikes, are much older, are fat or subsequently overtake me again however these guys all appeared to be lycra clad tri club members so  lets hope they are my competitors in Wales. On the way down the mix of bright sun and shade, patches of loose gravel and tighter than ideal road was a perfect example of where I need to improve. The one guy who kept distance ahead of me up the hill was peddling hard down the hill other than some of the hairier points. I did a lot of coasting and would just zip up inexorably behind him. I need to make use of that momentum, especially as I must put in a stupid amount of chemical energy gaining gravitational potential energy. Also I do consider that maybe my caution is not over . Let's hope that confidence increases and fatty body weight (110kgs) decreases at its current pace as we move closer to D Day.

Another loop of the hills and similar issues other than one point on which I completely bottled it rather than just playing safe and jammed on the breaks at a steeper part as there was a tight blind corner at the bottom. Will have to ride the route a few times and conquer it break-less.

My back was almost painful, certainly aching on the ride even though energy levels are fine and I must say that it makes it much harder to keep focused on keeping the legs pumping even when they are perfectly capable and lungs aren't trying. I blame it on being silly whilst doing housework but as I type it's feeling better so just need to not drop off stretching etc and get back into consistent core work.

Bit disappointed that average speed was only 15mph. I hope it was a mix of the steeper hills and traffic lights\road junctions as when I'm on the flat, slightly up or down I seem to be keeping it about 20mph. Bring on closed road bike on ride!

No comments:

Post a Comment