Thursday 27 March 2014

Dark

sorry for going dark on you over the last week. I could tell you what i've been up to but then I'd have to kill you. Actually wait. No. Read this or I kill you. Seeing as I have about 4 readers and that the world population is quite large im going to be busy.

the most interesting part of my beasting week was going on a MIAS assessment course. The passing of this to level two means that I now have a ticket that alllows me to take mountain bikers out and hopefully bring them all back in one piece.

Being less practiced on MTB of late and certainly never having been of a disposition to throw myself down muddy hills of too hair raising an aspect I decided to rock up early on day 1 and have some fun. I picked the first red route i could find and spent some time slogging up hills and getting used to the bike. The morning of the course was around the remit of the qualification and some work on checking how serviceable bikes are. That was useful. The afternoon was then a series of lessons on mountain biking and leadership of said activiy over increasiny challenging obstacles. This cul.inated in me being fully confident in the newly acquired bike and hurtling down some slick chalk hills whilst still feeling in control. Day two was more of a longer ride during which each of the candidates took turns of acting as ride leader. The chap running the course Phil, would occasionally interject to give feedback or put us over some obstacle or another but nothing compared to day one. He had a great coaching style.

Being much more out of the saddle and balancing all over the place compared to road bikesI founddespite the very slow overall pace that i had some odd aches and bruises after. The next day I went out solo on the MTB to consolidate and beast and had a wild time. My 7 mike run that evening was somewhat more painful than experienced though. I got to a point where I was needing to push through joint and back pain rather than physical exertion limits. I decided to slow down and then strolled wanting to live and beast another day. That day is Sunday actually I am running Brooklands half marathon. I've been told to do it in less than 2 hours.
All the biking over hills at the weekend and previously feels like it is paying off. A hill on one of my commuting routes which usually sees me at least with hands over breaks yesterday saw me glide down in the wet with little thought to stopping. Up hills I was pleased that my legs just seemed to eat up, solid cores of muscle that didn't feel pain but just pumped my otherwise sluggish self ever upwards. I say sluggish, heavy bag plus it has been a manic week between work, life, beasting and daughter deciding she wants to keep waking up at night crying. Also my tyres were flattish so I think I might get a track pump for the office.

I've also done some swimming and biking sessions since we last spoke. Oh and I met Darcy Bussell at St James' Palace. She is amazing.

1 comment:

  1. ahh a good update - I now feel like I am more informed then I was on saturday:). as the MTB was so enjoyable is there hope of xterra starting?

    Brooklands Half - must be under 2! it's flat and on roads you know well (ok flatish... :) )...looking forward to update. will you doa brick session + half marathon? hmmmm

    ReplyDelete