Tuesday 18 March 2014

MTB

I've just spent the evening fixing up and testing a mountain bike for my course this weekend. I'm a good leader in the field, am fit for cyclist and have spent some time reading up on how to get into mountain biking. This cannot go wrong. If i die then boy gets my watch cufflinks and hip flasks and c gets my books and decanters. Nicky gets the rest other than the giant portrait of me naked wrestling a lion which goes to Jan.

I tested my bunny hops up some curbs, hit some mud and survived a couple of ramps but an offroad route to and from work will hopefully consolidate all that google has taught me. On a serious note a weekend not too far from home but on some hills will be good for both fitness and bike confidence.

Since last post I went swimming and pushed out 3km in an hour. I was tired from it to be honest, didn't really ache as i thought I would though. Insufficient food beforehand didn't help and i did need to push... Hang on this isn't dramatic enough.

Triceps burning, I dug my arms into the water trying to escape. I had been followed for some time by a relentless and rested figure who mechanically progressed through the water, gaining ground on each pass. The faceless, red capped stalker held a speed similar to my own but through tumble turning was more efficent on every length. I had to reach 2km before he overtook me. As my arms and lungs protested in equal measure my form slipped. The slight rotation I had been trying to maintain after picking up a tip from the tri show was lost. The extra reach and hydrodynamics diminished as my arms failed to extend. The back end of each stroke failed to push the water back up and my catch in the water varied wildly. The extra effort it thus took to maintain the speed caused panic to creep in. My breathing lost rhythm. I took in water. My head began to pound and lungs strained. The end of the pool drew near but exhaustion threatened to come first.

I pushed through a final turn and 25m then on my turn held on to the edge, awaited overtaking and secummed to the ignominy of the situation. A thirty second breather and i completed my swim.

We could safely say i could do the 3.8km swim without real problem in less than 1:20 at the moment.

on this phone and whilst blogging during rugby I don't proof read etc for which N told me off. Sorry all.

No comments:

Post a Comment