Monday 24 February 2014

Uh oh

For those of you sceptical about the spectacle of me lumping my mass around the half marathon, please follow the link to the run data. I need to find my heart rate monitor now though. http://connect.garmin.com/page/activity/jsPlayer.faces?activityId=449408440&cid=6681990

I hope that works. As I said in previous post, my ankle was painful for last part and after the run. It is OK to put weight on but any rotation and its painful. A gentle jog on toes feels OK but I'm not going to risk running on it. To that end I swapped my cycle for a swim yesterday.

Arriving poolside in Staines-upon-Thames' Spelthorne Leisure Centre, I saw to my mild disatisfaction that there was no slow lane, nor was there a fast lane. Instead a Medium lane had been staked out to prevent the excesses of the young swimmers in the 'Swim for all' area encroaching into the domain of the automaton lane crawlers. A brief glance over my fellow pool users summed them all up as slower then me, including the likes of lots-of-splashing-instead-of-progress chap, old man doing what looked like a perfect front crawl in extreme slow motion, can't swim person, cartoon limbs flailing man, normal but slower than me lady and a couple of others. In plunges Hurst as the pelaton turns for another lap, dislodging one or two in need of rest and accumulating others.

I overtook everyone twice on the first 100meters. Some congestion was caused by other jockying for position then I saw the lifeguard move round towards us. He gave me a symmpathetic look as I came in to turn so I stopped and he said he was going to split the lane. What a good chap. It was another 150m later that I had a new lane in which I was joined by slower than me lady, cartoon limbs flailing man and another chap who appeared and started doing odd drills. It meant that there was no real pace to the lane as I snurgled up and down amongst them. With the amount of overtakes, avoidance drills and bursts of speed to turn prior to an end getting congested I lost count of how far I went though it was about an hour's swim.

It made me realise though that I was progressing at my usual speed but manageing to recover quickly from sprints at that speed. I need to start using the pool time more effectively. I'll have a look online for some Ironman training sessions but I remember one or two from previously that I'll try soon.
1)
25meters 10 tricep dips at end of pool
50 meters 9 tricep dips
100 meters 8 tricep dips
150 meters 7 tricep dips
200 - 6
250 -5
300 -4
350 -3
400 -2
450  -1
400 -2
350 -3
etc

2)
Warm up
5x 400m sets with last 25m of each hundred at high effort then 1 minute rest between each set
Warm down

Hopefully these will make good use of my pool time before the ever more attractive lake swimming draws close. Other thing I need to do is time myself over 1k.

After the swim my ankle felt fine to the extent that I put the support bandage on the usual bad ankle and not that one but today its in a bad way. Rest compression ibuprofen drills in place and its a reminder that I need to be a good boy and go back to the other exercises such as core, previous physio ones I have learnt and skipping.

4 comments:

  1. I shall try the swim drills but feel like dividing distance by at least 2 :)... and x 2 on the dips :)...

    I have a very empty pool but its only 15m long in my gym - this means that after 4 breaths I need to turn! this can not be realistic...? any ideas on how to make the short pool effective?

    Also Mr hurst I see little progress / talk of long bike sessions! you will spend majority of your time on a bike right? + you can use bike to prep for run / to save that ankle! I expect a report on a 3-4hr bike session soon! - I hear the journey to Windsor via Reading is very nice... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need a mountain bike that fits at the moment. Roads are horrid. Roger though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes I tried the tricep dips once in the pool, you will never do them again. I looked like a dirty old man rubbing one off in the deep end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am intrigued to see how you do tricep dips...

    ReplyDelete