Tuesday 25 February 2014

Back in the saddle

I rode to work today. No this wasn't me. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-surrey-26336618 

Not knowing if roads were open from recent flooding I took a diversion this morning around Egham up by Prune Hill. Wait there. I didn't get onto that section that quickly because the traffic from my village and all the way through was awful. Potholes are rather abundant too but the sheer weight of traffic was forcing me to progress at their speed. I quickly established that my ankle wasn't going to be a problem when clipped in as it wasn't relying on stabilising itself in the rolling plain. I had left slightly later than I planned but thought I had plenty of time still. I managed to get up to speed a few times but it wasnt pretty.

Prune Hill was fun, I thought it would cause me some problems but I span up it happily despite the traffic I had to negotiate.

I'm struggling to get pleasure from writing about this, it was so excutiatingly slow. The only fast oppotunity was down Priest Hill into Old Windsor but even that had traffic, people pulling out, clods of mud, potholes, its own river and a gravel pit at the bottom to contend with.

My cycle home was faster initially, a cheeky headwind and too much lunch the only things to worry about, then ground to a dismal series of sprints and pauses from Runnymede till home.

I had planned to reflect on why I'm training, why I'm happy to be fundriasing for Macmillan, Ironman and offer some thoughts on some deep and meaningful topics. I'm knackered though so I'll post an amusing video instead.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtube_gdata_player&v=vuBw39uCT4Q&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvuBw39uCT4Q%26feature%3Dyoutube_gdata_player&app=desktop

Oh! An impromptu social media campaign resulted in 183 unique visitors from a fair range of countries. UK, USA and South Korea seem to home the biggest beasting blog fans... followed closely by Slovakia and Czech Republic.  Also Oh!, I was about to give a 'big shout out' but then remembered a post I dreamt up on that whilst swimming the other day then either forgot or blogged it and forgot I did so. How exciting, I'll keep it stored up. Oh! also wanted to talk about suggestions to Macmillan I sent in. Tune in soon.

Ankle has rare twinge this evening but I'll try a jog tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment