Monday 17 February 2014

Stupid iphone and having a splash

I have been in the process of shifting away from iphone as it is far too prohibitive and increasingly unstable. Today is the day my I have cancelled the contract on it and will use my work number from now on, hopefully scrounging a nokia with which to use it. In a final act of sticking its fingers up at me it no longer wants to be recognised by itunes for me to take everything off. Now what? I've done all the bits that the apple help site suggests. Oh well I'll figure it out.

Today I started off with a swim. Hang on, when did I last blog? I did lots of beasting at the weekend thanks to being kicked out of the house by my supportive wife. OK. To the pool today, via pooley green which is no longer blocked off due to the flooding. The problem with Pooley Green was the 15, yes FIFTEEN minutes queueing at the level crossing. That was 15 pure minutes from my swim wasted.

As it is my Blogger prerogative to have a soapbox moment now and then I was considering whilst going up and down the pool what I should rant about. The lads the day before who had been the only other occupiers of my lane for 10 minutes had failed to get their testosterone pumping teenage selves to splash the 25 meters as fast as I was trundling up and down. They at one point tried to stand line abreast across the end of the pool but I continued to swim through them anyway, a couple of lengths later I finished a set and stood up in the end in which they were loitering, a genial nod and hello from me looking down at them encouraged them away. To be honest its good to see young people having fun at the pool and they were just kids. No rant there. The aforementioned collision lady I have seen a couple of times since. She seems to swim fast up then pootle back, hypocritically in the middle of the lane before pausing for an opportunity to moan about how people shouldn't be in the fast lane if they are slower than her. Nice woman. Oh well, I really couldn't care less. Just as I was reaching the point of despair for a lack of topics an amusing image hit me. Nothing to rant about but it made me laugh whilst swimming. Whilst my right arm was way over my head, my body sleekly rolled to the side, legs kicking fluidly from the hips and left arm pulling manfully through the water, I glanced with rapid eyes (through my new goggles) towards the showers area. Emerging was a battalion of large women moving with a purpose, marking the turn in the tide from the early bird fitness swimmers to the breakfast gossip club. I hadn't realised they all arrived at once, I wonder if they share a coach? Actually, it was probably a section rather than a battalion, or a troop perhaps. They dominated the entrance, completely blocking it before heading to the shallow end ladder like a troop of pay day squaddies emerging from a club and strutting into a small kebab shop, stopping occasionally to gesticulate boldly. All this in two glances as I switched to a two stroke breath pattern to compensate from my guffaw as the song "here comes the girls" came on turned up to 11 in my brain. I wondered if they were still there when Dan arrived.

I can't wait to get out of the pool and into a lake to swim, I'm running out of things to think about and when i think too deeply I forget to count lengths.

The other day I heard some of C's 'Game Songs' shortly before swimming and had those rattling around in my head for an hour and a half. It isn't healthy. "Don't ever step on a snake, or you're making a big mistake, so for the sake of your protection, I suggest you change direction, get out of there for good for goodness sake." Don Spencer (N thinks).

I met Chris for a run at lunch today, it was slow as I'm aching from the weekend and wasn't at 10005% after my swim but it was great to catch up and book him to run more often.

1 comment:

  1. I believe they are the over 60 version of the breakfast club, instead of teenage rebellion they steal sugar packages from the cafe and check the locker for pound coins

    ReplyDelete