Monday 10 February 2014

Jostled

I'm blogging whilst standing in a train into Waterloo today. It was slightly delayed into Weybridge which meant another train had time to spill forth it's contents onto the platform. I had waited in place for the train to arrive, having had time to finish the Metro (excluding gossip columns) and eas increasingly aware of the large number of fellow clock watchers. The train arrived and I was close to a door at the front of the scrum. I then made the mistake of holding back slightly to allow others off. Seasoned travellers allowed me to do so before capitalising on my lack of Machiavellian instinct. I then proceeded into the throng and made mistake number 2 which was to allow a lady to step up first at which point another lady darted into the space and a third, impatient at my obviously unheeded gentlemanly gesture shoved me aside to get on herself. I didn't get a seat. Oh well, I don't need or today really but it's the blow to my chivalric notion of the world that pangs. 

I suspect it is karma having a go at me. Yesterday's run was diverted due to flooding. 
The path is down between the pillars and the white bollards so the gate at the end was over half submerged.

Instead I ran down past byfleet primary on a moments whim to explore a new footpath. It opens up to a carpark in which I ran into four men smoking weed. I have them a scornful look, produced my phone and they dropped butts and dissipated. Hurst of old probably would have confronted them, sure I would have had a warrant card or at least one at home in this instance but instead I made a mental note to mention it to the safer neighbourhood team and ran on. It was a secluded spot with me against the four of them...

Ok I made space for a lady to get past and she stopped in the space I left. I've now been in this stress position for 15 minutes encroaching into some chaps personal space. He's probably reading this. Sorry old boy. No reaction. Ouch my back.

...but I wouldn't have gone too hard on them. Am I becoming less idealised? They should not have been there and they got away with it unchallenged even if they were surprised to see seventeen stone of hurst sweat towards them. I want C to grow up in a village without that sort of nonsense taking place next to her prospective school. Feel bad now, even knowing the low chance of any action really being taken by the police, low chance of them still being there on arrival or high chance of not really being thanked by anyone. Should that be a deterrent though? No. Naughty Hurst. Not so super now. I was plagued with those thoughts for the rest of the run.

I've had a few experiences of lack of thanks. After confronting two shoplifters at sainsburys and getting them to go back in and pay rather than have me call police (having got past the tedious squaring up and threatening bit), I tried to alert shop staff but was told that I needed to get in the queue. I know that a few drinks aren't the end of the world fora big  shop like that but the problem will only get worse if thieves operate with perceived impunity.

Nearly at Waterloo now thank goodness. Off to St James Palace for GoldAward Presentations. Best and most inspiring part of my job. 

What is the ettiquette these days for being shoved into someone. The poor chap hasn't reacted and seems to be engrossed in Kindle so maybe I'll leave him to his escapism as I round off mine.

1 comment:

  1. I personally think by the time our sproggs hit school for real mahajurahhaana (pronounced in the style of stewie griffin) will be legalised

    ReplyDelete