Friday 23 May 2014

Sick

Those of a delicate nature avoid a swoon by reading no further. Return to your Mills and Boon. For this post is about being sick.

Don't worry, nothing dreary about me needing to man up from illness again nor is it me harping on about the human larvae currently keeping the decibel level high the Hurst household. There is also no bravado ridden stories (and repeats) of alcohol induced vomiting either personal (whilst sprinting with Iaim, gaining Irish hats etc) or of Joe turning our downstairs loo\bike store red.

I decided that I need to work hard on my run as I don't think it has had the attention it deserved and the attention is has had has been jeopardised by virus and child and virus child. I've had a few outings but have almost been putting off being really engaged with it for fear of not getting in a long run as I'll be too slow to make time for it. After a conversation with Dan I realised that I just need to get out there, run faster than comfortable in the time I do have available and build on it.

Today's run, in honour of Allan A and Tori for sponsoring me, was preceded by a dinner of a large plate of beans and some fish fingers. This seemed like a good idea at the time as I expected to be running late in the evening but N gave the green light and I shot out as soon as C had passed out (just from drink folks, we don't give her anything illegal). I ran at a comfortable pace but pretty quickly a pain under my ribs returned from yesterday's run and I didn't push it. Come the golf course I made sure to accelerate into some of the small rises in the path and suddenly felt the dreaded sick rising. I manfully braced myself for an explosion, breathed in and sneezed orange. The surprise settled the remainder of my dinner and I carried on just uncomfortable.

The experience got me reflecting on times where I haven't been so lucky in keeping it down.  Here are three that spring to mind:
1) First time using a personal trainer at a gym I decided to eat two bowls of cereal prior to leaving the house for extra energy. Mid sit ups I made a small mess and then spent 10 minutes of my paid for hour MIA.
2) I ate a cheese sandwich before going for a cycle ride from home in Virginia Water. Up the hill to towards cross roads with traffic lights I saw it again.
3) Whilst playing soldier once on an attack I was ill whilst vigorously shouting something (I was probably pointing in a bold karate chop motion simultaneously) but think that was a mix of food disagreeing with me as much as pushing myself. Then I knelt in it.

Tell me about your own experiences of being sick whilst exercising in the comments or on twitter #beastingvom don't forget to include @Geoffbeast

Thanks again to those who have donated.

Quick edit:

Here is the run, it wasnt me having heart attack at begining, the strap kept falling off. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/505422187

1 comment: