Saturday 16 August 2014

low end gear but some idea

Less than a month to go now.

It hasn't been the year of training I'd thought it would be but I know I have pushed myself. The biggest limiting factor (other than time) has been tiredness and my mind dwells on those opportunities for training that were wasted due to lethargy or sleeping through an alarm. On the other hand 0500 (and earlier) has been an hour to which I have become much better acquainted. I'm less fat though am still carrying too much, I snack too much in the office and booze, though cut, has not been cut out. I don't seem to have dropped in weight but my legs are as ever piling on the muscle. I seem to have a body shape that piles on the muscle mass if i do weights or hit the protein too much so have kept myself away from the gym. My run is still my weakest event and my swim has only been maintained, not improved. My fuelling strategy is still being developed, i have confidence in it though I need to get testing it more. The kit I have, including bike, wetsuit and trainers is mostly second hand or low end (other than bike hat!) but tried and tested is good enough for my budget. I could lose another stone and benefit much more than i could splashing out on flashy gear as much as i do get kit envy now and again.

Being honest with myself I am really going to struggle to get my original target of 12 hours. In fact I wont. A month out I should have an idea of my splits though. Assuming fair weather for all three, no mechanical issues or major injuries. In a lake I can do 4k comfortably in 1hr 10mins. Not sure what volume of people, tide and waves will do to that against adrenaline, drafting and salt water which I'm sure is more bouyant (maybe old wives tale??). On the bike 6.5hours is well in grasp for me without needing to exert myself. For the marathon I have no idea. Never run that far after cycling that far. It will hurt. 5mph is what I'll attempt to average. 5and a bit hours. Chuck in transitions and it will be tea and medals all round. All these times have been achieved over these distances other than marathon at a pace that I've found comfortable. Runs of around15miles have all been cruised at over 6mph without needing to resort to lots of gels or water etc.Training stops in September.

Can you believe that my daughter is 3 tomorrow?

2 comments:

  1. Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'

    Audrey Hepburn

    ReplyDelete
  2. It only takes two weeks to develop a physical change.

    ReplyDelete