Saturday 30 August 2014

Defiant

My alarm may have gone off at 0500 this morning but it certainly didnt bring me to conciousness. Instead I woke up of my own accord at 0630, rather annoyed with myself. A much slower (to spend time with children) exit ensued. I climbed aboard Iaim's bike Rose (name is the brand, he isn't that much of a softy, though he refers to her as tinkerbell) for the last time and set off to the High Wycombe area, 80% confident I knew the route, 80% sure my back would cope and 80% sure I should be doing a 60mile+ cycle with a fortnight to go to race day. Thank makes 240% so the ride was more than perfect.

There were a few reasons for wanting to go out:
a) I like cycling
b) I wanted to test my food plans
c) I needed to go get my bike
d) I missed Iaim
e) Its good to keep the legs moving in run up even if it isnt high effort
f) I needed to get some miles in on Defy to get used to her again
g) I need to do some miles on  her to get new cables etc bedded in
h) I wanted to practice my drinking a waterbottle an hour
i) I could do with losing some weight
j)  One last hurrah on Rose was mandatory
k) There are hills in Buckinghamshire without needing to make a fuss of them like in Surrey
l) Iaim makes an AMAZING coffee (slowly)
m) Get to see his tribe
n) Because fuck you
o) Can't think of anything else and had wanted to reach Z but oh well, doing yoga soon so will abandon this, it wasnt that amusing anyway.

One big problem with the route was Slough. Where are those friendly bombs? It isnt fit for humans (on bikes) still. My plan today was to not let my heart rate increase too much and to feel low effort the whole time. When I got to Slough I just went for it to get the hell out of dodge regardless of heartrate. Was not better on the way home.

I was pleased to get to Iains in a reasonable time (18mph ish) having not dropped out of big ring on the gears and not pushing it (physical effort as opposed to getting off, that DOES NOT HAPPEN) up hills.

My Defy has been through a total transformation. Lots of new parts or old parts completely dismantled, cleaned, greased and reassembled. The parts did not cost much (relatively) and with no labour I could not have currently afforded to have had bike so up to spec without that, let alone sort of bike that will be in racks around me in Wales... What a good egg Iaim is and sorry to his family for how much time he must have spent in his garage instead of with them.

The ride back on it was interesting to note the differences. I spun out down hill more and am sure on the flat didnt get the same oomph compared to Rose but it is performing beautifully and for a hilly course is ideal.

When I arrived home I found that I was in a bit of trouble for being late and that my Macmillan Tri Suit had arrived. Not flattering...

No comments:

Post a Comment